When we started working on Malarkey we didn’t have a clear vision of what we wanted the game to look like. 

We discussed a few different art styles & themes. From 8-bit, Samurai Jack, Archer and most everything in between. 

Inspired by the hand drawn 1930’s rubber hose art style of the now popular CupHead side scroller we started working with a local artist who started developing some concept drawings for us. While the characters were in the appropriate style, it became apparent when we seen the first draft of the board game art she produced. that she was probably a bit in over her head trying to bring our vision to life. 

Here’s a few pics of what Malarkey v1.0 looked like back then…

Fortunately we did end up finding an awesome artist via UpWork to help us get to where we are today!